HAMPTON-The Professional Box Lacrosse Association (PBLA) announced on January 31 that it will postpone the remainder of all of its games across the league.
The news affects the Hampton Hammerheads, who kicked off their inaugural season at Hampton Coliseum earlier in January. The Hammerheads were scheduled to play at least five more home games this season.
“We made a difficult decision to postpone the remainder of the inaugural season,” said PBLA Owner Carmen Kesner in a release. “Our vision is to implement a fast, physical, safe, and exciting experience for our fans and players. We believe we have been able to create this experience, but we feel there are elements we need to improve upon. For that reason, we are halting the season to reorganize the league and team operations.”
Part of the reorganization includes the appointment of Brad Bryant as the new chief executive officer of the PBLA.
“I’m excited about what is in store for this league,” he said. “My goal is to take Mr. Kesner’s concept to the next level and create a sustainable product for years to come that both the players and the fans can be proud of.”
Season ticket holders will be contacted and will receive a full refund for the remainder of the season.
The league was established in part to promote the sport of lacrosse as well as professional box lacrosse. Box lacrosse first began in Canada and is mostly played in North America.
In addition to the Hampton Hammerheads, other teams a part of the league are Binghamton Bombers (Binghamton, NY); Charlotte Bootleggers (Charlotte, NC); Elmira Renegades, (Elmira, NY); New England Chowderheads (Manchester, NH); Syracuse Spark (Syracuse, NY); Trenton Terror (Trenton, NJ); Salem Mayhem (Salem, VA); and the Jim Thorpe All-Americans (Jim Thorpe, PA).