Thursday, October 6, 2022

Menchville Marina Receives Cool Commonwealth Port Grant For Improvements For Oyster Operations

Sign up here for our free newsletter that tells you about the newest stories, three mornings each week.

NEWPORT NEWS—The City of Newport News recently requested and received a $285,740 grant from the Virginia Port Authority. This grant, known as the Aid To Local Ports (ATLP) grant, is a part of $1 million in grant funding available annually to municipally owned commercial facilities that help to improve commerce in the state of Virginia. The grant is a 75/25 match.

“Ideally, if you get fully funded, 75 percent is paid through this grant program and the other 25 percent is matched by the municipality receiving it,” said Doreen Kopacz, port development administrator for the City of Newport News. “It’s a highly competitive process and it’s very rare to get fully funded. That said, for the Fiscal Year 2023, I went to management and talked to them about the Menchville area. They have the second biggest seafood draw in Newport News there, which is oysters.”

Want to read the rest of the article?

Already a subscriber? Log into your Transact account.

New user? Create a Transact account and read the article for free. Transact gives you $3 in credit to get you started.

Purchase a subscription for a year, month, or day on Transact, and get access to all articles.

Transact payments script could not be loaded

Transact.io respects your privacy, does not display advertisements, and does not sell your data.

To enable payment or login you will need to allow third party scripts from transact.io.

Cookies are disabled

Transact.io respects your privacy, does not display advertisements, and does not sell your data.

To enable purchase or subscriptions you will need to enable cookies.

You must purchase this article or be a subscriber to comment on it.

Latest News

Tambora Latin Cuisine In York County Closes

YORK-A Latin restaurant on George Washington Memorial Highway has closed after two years in operation. Tambora Latin Cuisine, located at 1900 George Washington Memorial Highway,...

Newport News Looking To Redevelop Sherwood Shopping Center

NEWPORT NEWS-Sherwood Shopping Center on Warwick Boulevard may soon be getting a facelift. During a joint meeting with the Newport News City Council, Planning Commission,...

The New Local News Model

On July 1, we started a new way to pay for news. Yes, we want you to subscribe, but we know nobody subscribes to every site they visit just because there's a paywall.

So if you don't want to subscribe (even at the low price of $39.99 for a year), you can pay for access to individual articles. Or just buy a 24-hour pass, as if you were buying a single copy of a newspaper. We use a new payment service called Transact, which lets you pay for individual articles in as little as three seconds. And you will get $3 in credit when you sign up (just an email address, no credit card required), which will let you pay for at least 20 articles.

This is new for everyone, so we're going to ease you into this. Initially, there won't be many articles that you have to pay for. Short ones will always be free. And even the longer stories will let you read the first half or so for free. We'd love to hear what you think, so send us a note at feedback@peninsulachronicle.com.